Find all the meeting information & past minutes are posted here! We always start with collaboration and networking at 6:30 p.m., and the meeting begins at 7. All 2016-17 meetings will take place in the Ballinger Room at the Shoreline Center. The Center is located at 18560 1st Ave. NE, Shoreline, 98155 (same complex as the district offices and the Spartan Rec Center).
Member meetings for the 2016-17 school year:
- Sept. 20 – Brian Schultz, assistant superintendent, and Anzara Miller, director of teacher professional practice and evaluation, about recommendations from the Instructional Program Planning Committee now under consideration. These include configurations for preschool, highly capable programs and grade models.
- Nov. 15 – Robin Tatsuda from The ARC of King County will help demystify the state’s Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) services and eligibility processes. Presentation handout: dda-eligibility-services-shoreline-november-2016
- Jan. 18 – Josh Brothers from Brothers Henderson Dussault Law office will explain important financial and legal issues for special needs families, such as estate planning, guardianship and the new college savings plan option. Presentation handout: 20170118 BHD Special Needs Estate Planning (short)
- March 23 – A panel from the school district will focus on what families need to know about planning for transitions to middle school and high school, including graduation requirements and options. Presentation handouts: Sped PTA-Secondary and Sped PTSA-Grad Requirements
- May 3 – Motivational life coach Jessica Butts will take participants through a discussion about personality types and how these influence parenting approaches. You can find more about our speaker here.
2015-16 Minute and Handouts
September 21, 2015
- General Member Meeting Minutes: 9-21-15 General Member Meeting Minutes
- Handout from Guest Speaker Rose Spidell of the state’s Office of the Education Ombuds: Supporting Students With Disabilities
November 4, 2015
- General Member Meeting Minutes: 11-4-15 General Member Meeting Minutes
- Handout from King County’s Wrap-Around Services Program guest speakers Melanie Streight (wrap-around coach), Rebecca Wong (wrap-around facilitator) and Josee Perez (wrap-around parent partner): King County Wraparound Program Basics
January 13, 2016
- General Member Meeting Minutes: 01-13-16 General Member Meeting Minutes
- Handout from Washington Autism Alliance & Advocacy guest speaker Amy Huntley on the topic of maximizing insurance benefits: Autism Insurance Training 1-2016
- Thanks to all who contributed to the popular post-holiday white elephant gift raffle during the meeting!
March 15, 2016
- General Member Meeting Minutes: 03-15-16 General Member Meeting Minutes
- Handout from Presentation by the District’s Special Education Team: Special Education Panel March 2016
April 13, 2016
- General Member Meeting Minutes: 04-13-16 General Member Meeting Minutes
- Thanks to Catherine Stafford, creator of The Nurtured Heart approach, who spoke about how to identify the positives in your child. You can learn more about Catherine here.
May 18, 2016
- See our blog post about the special teachers and staff we recognized who work so hard to support our kids.
- We got our spring cleaning in full gear with help from Cathy Murahashi, family engagement coordinator from The ARC of King County, who guided a discussion on how to get those piles of special education and special needs files organized. Here are the notes: May 2016 Shoreline Special Needs PTA Presentation on Organizing Files
- General Member Meeting Minutes: Will be posted once approved in the fall.