**Stay tuned for the 2017-18 schedule. Your incoming board is planning this summer!**
2016-17 Member Meeting Topics
We always start with collaboration and networking at 6:30 p.m., and the meeting begins at 7. All 2016-17 meetings took place in the Ballinger Room at the Shoreline Center. The Center is located at 18560 1st Ave. NE, Shoreline, 98155 (same complex as the district offices and the Spartan Rec Center).
Member meetings for the 2016-17 school year:
- Sept. 20 – Brian Schultz, assistant superintendent, and Anzara Miller, director of teacher professional practice and evaluation, spoke about recommendations from the Instructional Program Planning Committee now under consideration. These included configurations for preschool, highly capable programs and grade models.
- Nov. 15 – Robin Tatsuda from The ARC of King County helped demystify the state’s Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) services and eligibility processes. Presentation handout: dda-eligibility-services-shoreline-november-2016
- Jan. 18 – Josh Brothers from Brothers Henderson Dussault Law office explained important financial and legal issues for special needs families, such as estate planning, guardianship and the new college savings plan option. Presentation handout: 20170118 BHD Special Needs Estate Planning (short)
- March 23 – A panel from the school district focused on what families need to know about planning for transitions to middle school and high school, including graduation requirements and options. Presentation handouts: Sped PTA-Secondary and Sped PTSA-Grad Requirements
- May 3 – Motivational life coach Jessica Butts took participants through a discussion about personality types and how these influence parenting approaches. You can find more about our speaker here.
- June 1 – We voted on a 2017-18 budget, celebrated the school year with an ice cream social and recognized our chapter’s outstanding educator of the year: Michael Rhyne, Syre Elementary School counselor.